Monday, August 08, 2005

Loose Change






The party was a blast. Never knew my secondary schoolmates churned out into beautiful swans. Especially Dahlia. Vivacious eyes that rivaled her curvaceous physique. It was a pity though that her mind was as narrow as the road I'm rambling on.

Dark clouds brewed above me accompanied by the vehement sound of thunder. Maybe the gods knew I was having lewd thoughts of Dahlia. I hastened my pace as I saw the orange roof of the bus stop just ahead. The bus was approaching. I have to catch the last bus.

I dug into my jeans and extracted whatever money I had left. "90 cents!", I murmured to myself miserably. The blinding lights of the bus casted a shadow darker than night. Perfect for a scene in a Hitchcock film.

I realised the bus is empty as it screeched to a halt. The driver looked hammered. "How much to Tampines ah uncle?", I queried. "One-Dollar, One-Dollar!", he retorted. "I only have 90 cents la. Can or not?", I beseeched like a boy. He shut the doors and floored the accelerator and the bus blended into the long hard road.

Crimson with rage, I kicked the green dustbin, spewing its contents all over the bus stop. I took out a cigarette and lit it up in slow mo, relenting to the fact that I now have to call Daddy to pick me up. I scrutinized the contents of the litter. A Green Tea can. Almond Roca wrappers. Tissue papers. Then there was a streak of silver. I peered closer. It was a 10 cent coin.