Sunday, August 07, 2005

Like Clockwork



Friday mornings never cease to amuse. A young boy is in uniform. It has chocolate stains on his right sleeve. 'Heinze' was written on his pocket. He was named after condiments. My punctuality is absolute once again. Time 07:02. The train will arrive in 1 min.

I prised into a train replete with people. There is nothing to feast my eyes on except for a snazzy dresser. She had on a limited edition Diesel watch. "What is she doing putting on a men's watch?", I mused.

I saw her again on Monday. In fact I see her everyday that I went to work for 6 days now. Her timing was impeccable. She began to acknowledge my existence with a smile this morning. I visioned that it's going to be a special day.

Time 06:15. I'm late. Rushed to the station and pulled back my sleeve. No watch. No snazzy dresser too. My stomach is rumbling for breakfast. Got down at City Hall instead and hastened towards Starbucks.

There's a long queue. "Damn!", I thought. Needed to know the time. I tapped the shoulder of the person in front of me while asking, "Can I bother you for the time Miss?" "Quarter past eight", was the reply as she glanced backward. Her voice was flawless, just like the limited edition Diesel watch on her left wrist.