Sunday, December 20, 2009

Connecting People




Airports, with an exhaustive myriad of people from all around the globe, can be quite an unusual, unconventional, yet very apt location to just people watch. Being quite an lover for metropolitan city states with its fast paced shuffling, 24-hr eateries and dry subway humour, I found myself locked yet again, in a web of transit.

As soon as I alighted from my transit flight, I trudged within the mazy tunnel which was unusually dim, still reeking of that aeroplane smell. The massive steel structure and architectural feat that is the new Bangkok International Airport soon greeted me as I gasped and marveled in awe, trying to logically fathom how those engineers did it. Before long, I gave up, as I made a beeline toward the smoking room.

2 hours before my 20-hour flight to New York City. It was imperative that I had my dietary supplement of ash and tar and harmful nicotine. Staring blissfully at formless smoke blown out of one's mouth...nothing like cigarettes to recharge and perk you up for an arduous journey strained within the confinements of a miserable seat, stuck between two fat people, with only in-house entertainment TV, and a good book for comfort. Secretly though, I wished I had the courage and guts to smoke in that small cubicle of a loo on board...but nahh...I wouldn't wanna be an odd commodity attracting stares throughout the long journey.

The smoking lounge was as miserable as a prison cell, size wise that is. But at least the authorities spared a thought for fellow smokers to curb their urges. Nevertheless, I wasn't complaining. I squeezed my way to the last unoccupied space between a burly Caucasian and a trendy young Japanese man. As accommodating as the situation was, I lit up.

The lounge was cold as it was silent as everyone minded their own business, deep in thought. No points for guessing how that much needed smoke fueled their thought process, acting as a peculiar catalyst.

I sat rooted and observed each and everyone of their behaviour. The Caucasian man, burly and scruffy, had a hint of adventure in his blood. His jungle hat was a giveaway, and so were the tattoos and hiking shoes. Must be back from roaming the tropical rainforests of Thailand, I assumed.

An attractive blonde, which I shall assume was Swedish simply for the assumption that most blondes hails from Scandinavia, was wiping dust off her shoes. She was well dressed, and looked every bit a New Yorker. Perhaps giving me a sneak preview of the flavour of women paving the New York streets.

And as I shifted my gaze upon the Japanese man, I was awed to perfection. Finished with his cigarette, he whipped out his mobile phone which had a bigger screen than usual. He fidgeted with the keys before dialling in a number. Upon establishing a connection, he began moving his hands and making weird signs with his fingers as he 'spoke'.

I peered over his shoulder as close as my chin could go. The person in the large LCD screen was 'speaking' back in similar fashion. Having helped out in a deaf & mute school for children, I relatively understood the conversation that was ongoing.

It was a conversation between husband and wife. In summary, what I learnt from that few minutes was that the husband had been away for a few months now, on a work project and he was on his way home. They missed each other alot, and he missed his 2 kids at home dearly. He requested for his wife to point the camera toward their sleeping children so that he could catch a glimpse of their angelic faces.

That made him tear a little as he forced a smile followed by soft laughter. He told his wife that he would be back in just a day's time and that he's missing her Roasted Lemon Chicken.

Amazing, I pondered to myself, the beauty of how modern technology bridges two souls together. What deemed an impossible act not too long ago, you wouldn't expect a mobile phone to be of handy use to someone who could not listen, let alone speak.

What I witnessed today opened my mind up to a million possibilities. It is very much comforting to learn that as we move on and embrace new technology, even the less privileged benefits.

Connecting people. I've learnt something new today how that phrase transcends beyond mere communication. In every sense of the word, so simple, yet baffling, the manner in which two souls embraces eternal love and human touch. Whatever technology spills out tomorrow, let us hope that as with mobile phones, it would make the world a better place.