Monday, November 30, 2009

Shoelaces



First you ensure that both ends are of equal length. Cross the laces and pull. Make a bunny ear on the right, and repeat with the left. Cross the bunny ears, make a bow and pull hard. There you go...like millions of others before me, that was probably how your first lesson with shoelaces began.

It was a heavy meal by my standards, nothing quite marvelous, but acceptable. It could have been better but I wasn't one to complain that day. We strolled along the quay side river and sat upon an abandoned bench with rays of sunshine coyly penetrating through gaps of grey clouds.

The air smelt and hinted of rain, but I wasn't going to let that deprive me of some quality time with you what with the wind subtly beating upon my face and dragging me to slumberland.

The river seemed calm and the soft murmuring of the river boat in the distant added to the charm of the colourful shophouses lining what used to be a thriving settlement. As the boat loomed nearer, you can make out the eager tourists with their cameras and video recorders, pointing to something whimsical that attracted their curiosity.

These scenes contorted a heartwarming backdrop to our special moment together in close proximity, discussing varied topics from wordly issues to mindless bickering and debatable humour. Just as we were laughing and arguing, she casually pulled one end of my shoelace like a playful puppy. I wasn't angry at all, but after 25 years of bunny ears and pulling, who likes it right?

Fast forward a year later, the setting was similar albeit now in a different country. The sky was painted with gloom as the cobblestone path seemed wet, guilty of rain just moments earlier.

I sat upon a lonely bench, thinking of home as I unwrapped my sandwich and reminiscence. I really missed her so. There was a mother of two nearby trying to control her unruly but undeniably cute rascals. They had blonde hair and envious eyes. They were chasing, and irritating one another repeatedly,one brother and one sister...but they seemed loving.

Just as their mother gave both quite a tongue lashing, the sister cunningly unlaced her brother's right shoe. He was just about 4 years old and his mother obligingly bent down and muttered,"First you ensure that both ends are of equal length. Cross the laces and pull. Make a bunny ear on the right, and repeat with the left. Cross the bunny ears, make a bow and pull hard."

I smiled to myself, frozen with thought. I didn't know it until now though it has always been there.

At times I miss you alot. But at most times, I miss you more.