Saturday, November 08, 2008

Just Two Minutes



Do you remember your first date with that important someone? That nerve wrecking feeling where you fret silly on selecting that perfect outfit? Spending hours confronting your open wardrobe, pondering on your apparently vast, but seemingly limited choice of fine threads? I remembered vividly my first date in recent years not too long ago, albeit its queer circumstances that led to that date. But secretly, I coveted our second date more than any other. To me, that was the real proper first date between Yvonne and me.

Always a cool customer, my heart was only sent pounding, like African drums that brief few moments before she arrived. It wasn't as if I was meeting her for the first time, but somehow, a whole part of me just wanted to make everything right for myself. At least I felt I deserve a shoulder to lie my heavy head on, and break the chains that once held me down for so long.

Being out of the game for so long didn't help at all, but I thank god for my ability to converse and rattle on small talk, and her ability to reciprocate in similar fashion. Yvonne looked stunning from the distance. She had on a simple black dress, with a black shawl slung around her shoulders like an exotic snake. Not one to accesorise herself with jewelry, she did however had on a gladiator like bracelet to complete her look. She walked toward me wearing the most unforgettable smile, like the cherry toppings on a chocolate sundae. My heart was racing once again.

The first few minutes was rather queer but it ironed out fine. It was easy to slip into a comfortable mood with her warm and cheery disposition. I sensed many roving eyes penetrating on her and back at me. They must be wondering how lucky this plain looking chap is to be with such an adorable little pixie. It felt liberating one way or another.

I was never one to conform to social norms by restricting my dates to a dinner or a movie. I prefer conversing and getting to know the individual. Grasping bits and pieces of her personality via the way she speaks, laughs, and body language. I find it thoroughly sexy when the opposite sex questions my thoughts and challenges my opinions. I enjoy uncovering that little few similarities and differences, even though we come from diffrent backgrounds. Yvonne exceeded my expectations on that front, and a whole lot more.

We ordered desserts by a cafe by the busy sidewalk, with throngs of people, old and young, zooming past us. There were groups of friends, perhaps about to catch a movie...there were some scrambling their way home after a hard day's work. I would also imagine that some were eager to meet their loved ones, or maybe their date...just like I was.

The chattering of the evening birds returning to their homes were like music to the world, as the sun began to set, returning the elegant moon her shine once more. The lights that lined up the bust city streets illuminated and cast strange shadows on the walkways, and then, our desserts arrived, interrupting our conversation.

By and large, every minute spent on that date with her seemed like mere seconds. I choose to believe that we talked about anything and everything under the sun...so much so that I couldn't even remember what was being said. I did remember two things significantly though.

First was that I wasn't sure if she'd enjoy that secret little place I wanted to take her after our dessert. For the fact that she wasn't entirely properly attired for a long walk, just to chill at a unconventional location. Deep down however, I was adamant that she would appreciate that little sanctuary of mine. The parapet they call it, was definitely love at first sight.

And the other thing that I choose to remember from that day was how captivated I was by her smile, the twinkle in her eyes, and the charming effect it had on me.

Yvonne didn't complain about the arduous walk to the parapet. Rather short she said. Perhaps, our conversations, and the cosy little shophouses that line the roads kind of took that thought away. Though reluctant initially for the fear of heights, I felt she trusted me enough as I took her soft porcelain hands for the very first time and climbed the concrete ledge, overlooking the cars whiskering below us into the tunnel. The air was warm and the subtle winds comforting.

We sat there for hours, bickering, laughing, and sharing thoughts and the sort. Subconsciously, I found myself stealing glances at her, whenever she isn't looking. I loved the way she smelt, the way she snuggled up to me, and the fact that how a simple date can turn to be even more splendid, than any other I've been on.

My little fairytale ended as the night grew late, signaling the time for us to head back home. Though we live at the opposite ends of the island, I didn't blame her for thinking how I shouldn't have seen her home. She was just being thoughtful.

But to me, I felt that was the least I could do, to thank her for a wonderful time, and for the respect that I had for her. It was about time, I started to be a real gentleman. I didn't want to admit this initially, but part of me was reluctant to start missing her company prematurely.

We met again after that night, most of which were spent in similar fashion. Up till this moment, I've yet to recall any dull moment whatsoever spent together with Yvonne. Things just kept getting better and better. If this really is a dream, I'd opt to sleep forever.

On one of those dates yet again she told me how I needn't see her home. Though she meant well, I still felt compelled to spend that last priceless moments with her in the taxi cab. Though silent, these were always the best moments.

Reality hits you right in the face as the lift door closes. The first two minutes after seeing someone you like leave, is when you miss them the most. And the long journey home after that, usually the loneliest.