Friday, March 09, 2007

New York, New York


New York, New York
. The city that never sleeps. A city where the lights of the nightime transits into the 8th wonder of the world. A city where all the flavours of the world converge into one eloquent melting pot of cultures. A city that inspires movies, both old and new. A city where sleeping in the deserted subways brings as much joy as enjoying the trolly-pushed hotdogs on a park bench. New York, New York, a city so beautiful, it has to be mentioned twice.

It was an opportunity not to be missed for young Noel, when his boss, Steven proposed an all expense business trip to New York. Business or not, it already sounds like a holiday of a lifetime. For someone whose only brush with cold weather is confined to the ghastly four walls of his air-conditioned Singapore office, the mere mention of the trip deafened his surroundings for a good few seconds.

Noel blinked his eyes a couple of times before getting in sync with reality. He accepted the offer without thinking much of his almost depleted bank balance. And so it is, as his name is being printed out onto the boarding pass, Noel D'Souza, Destination : JFK International Airport. As the warm winds of the south finds its way to the north, and the birds of the city shall start to sing again, Noel is exhilarated to welcome the spring in New York.

Noel enjoyed the business aspect of the trip as much as the diverse sights and sounds that the city has to offer. He will be literally be drinking from the taps when he returns to his homeland, but you can try reminding him so and he would gladly scuff your words aside. Halfway into the trip and Noel has already bought 2 more bags to accommodate his wild shopping antics.

On the the second last day however, over breakfast consisting of hotdogs and some orange juice in Central Park, Steven shot a question out of the blue to young Noel, "So Noel, are you enjoying yourself in the company?". "Why of course Steven. I'm just blessed that you have given me the opportunity despite my lack of experience to ply my trade in the industry. You know I went to countless interviews only to be rejected because I couldn't speak a word of Mandarin or because I didn't possess enough industry experience. But I guess you must have saw something in me to give me a shot. And I have never been anything less but dedicated and committed to the company's cause", Noel said in one breath.

"I mean I really love this job and despite the unearthly hours that we work till most of the time, I still wake up each day with the same amount of enthusiasm and eagerness to step into the office doors. At the moment, this job means everything to me Steven. Supposing this wasn't New York. Supposing we are now at the Beach Road hawker centre back home, and you're asking me this exact question, I'd have answered it just the same", Noel continued.

"And you Steven, I mean you have taught me so much. Even more than what my lecturers taught in school. You have been a great mentor, a great boss, and a great friend and I'm proud to tell my friends that I'm working under such a dedicated and talented individual as yourself. To be honest Steven, I don't think any other boss would have shared his knowledge and experience to his colleagues the way you did to all of us in the company", Noel confessed his inner thoughts.

"You know, it's a funny way of putting it but....you remember the last FA Cup Final when Steven Gerrard scored the equaliser for Liverpool in the dying seconds against a plucky West Ham side?" "Well of course!", Steven exclaimed. "How can I ever forget that? Simply fantastic!", Steven said in between bites.

"Well yeah. Gerrard is the sole heartbeat of that Liverpool side. And you are to the company what Gerrard is to Liverpool. Well, I'm a hardcore Man Utd fan but we lost our heartbeat when Roy Keane left and I can't think of another example. But yeah, you are the heartbeat of the company," Noel claimed.

"Thanks Noel. It really means alot to me the way you say it. Well, it is very hard for me to say this. I have not told any of them back home but, I'll be leaving the company in a couple of months time and I just thought of sharing that with you. I know a lot of them including you would think of leaving as well once I'm gone but I'm just hoping that you guys stay in the company you know. Help it grow. Stay on a little longer until you find another suitable place," Steven dropped the bomb.

Noel felt like how the West Ham players must have felt when Gerrard blasted in that sumptous volley into the back of the net in the game's dying seconds. "Well I can see that you are dampened by what I have said but I hope you guys respect my decision you know. I have my personal goals to attain. I mean, I'm still a phone call away if you guys need me. I'll still be glad to meet up for coffee or dinner or something. Just thought that you should know this first Noel", Steven attempted to cheer up young Noel.

Deep down, Noel knows that this is part and parcel of life. People come and go in our lives and it is often those that touches you in one way or another that always seem to inflict the deepest wounds. Steven for one had a huge part to play in Noel's infant professional career in the industry. Whatver that Noel has accumulated in the 9 months or so in that company can be all accredited to Steven's guidance.

Steven is like the doting father to all in that company and by him leaving, the impact would be as great as a homeless child. The hotdog somehow didn't taste as good anymore after all that he heard in the last few minutes but Noel tried to hide his feelings from Steven. Both Steven and Noel, teacher and student, advertising guru and protege walked side by side toward the end of Central Park, deep in their own thoughts.

New York, New York, a city so beautiful, it has to be mentioned twice. Noel was promised the spring, but instead he found Autumn in New York.