Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Cheat


Tomorrow is the Secondary 2 History test which constitutes 30% of the total semester grade. What a chore the students thought for they have Chapter 1- 3 to study...or more appropriately MEMORIZE. What a terrorizing word that is. Teachers always say, "You know what class..why don't you guys burn the pages of your text and drink it with water. Then perhaps you don't have to study." Do you think thats a funny joke? Personally I can't laugh to that. Such teachers should just go fuck a spider.

I reached home early that day and chucked my bag into the corner where it always belongs. I forced myself to open my History text. The pages seemed like an endless ancient scroll. What has these contents got to do with my career in the future I wonder. I scurried through the pages and sighed as I rested against my study chair.

The sound of the Playstation 2 being played by my brothers somehow seeped its way through my room door...beckoning onto me. The calling was too powerful and I gave in. An hour of bliss on the PS2 soon became 2 and 3 and without realizing, the sun had set without prior warning.

I lugged into my room again cursing at my text. It is comedy night today on TV and I've never missed it. "Everybody Loves Raymond" followed by "My Wife & Kids" , "Still Standing", "King of Queens", "Frasier".

Of course, I opted for the telly and still my History text remained untouched like a forgotten relic. After the last show ended, it was bedtime and my eyes were just too tired to battle on. And it was then that I had the most brilliant idea. I was going to attempt to cheat on the test.

And so armed with my foolscape and pen, I forged out my best handwriting. Small and nimble they were such that Tom Thumb would be proud of. Vital pieces of information that spans 3 chapters is now tucked sweetly into bed in just a single piece of paper. Contented with my 'studying' I knocked out with a smile.

On my way to school, I see students with faces buried in their texts. Some were still scrawling on little pieces of info to aid in their studying. I just shook my head and laughed. Before the commencement of the test, they were asking each other, "Eh you got study this or not? Wah Lau! I never study this leh". Then the other retorted, "You die ah! Teacher say this one CONFIRM come out!". Then he starts rummaging through his text again. But of course it is of no use at this point of time. I just tucked my pocket gently to see if my ticket to an A grade is still there.

The invigilator pranced up and down the aisle like a night watchmen as he gave out the test papers faced down. As soon as he gave out mine and his back is facing me, I skillfully took out the paper, unfolded it and placed it in between the test papers in a single motion. The naked eye could never see the foreign object between the test papers. Smart. Brilliance.

And so I did the test referring to my personal little helper whenever I had the opportunity. I was done within an hour and never felt this satisfied before. Of course I got my A grade....and many more A's will be waiting for me unless.....